Sunday, November 15, 2009

How do I start planting flowers in Washington state?

I want to plant perenials this year but dont know where to start. I'm new at growing flowers outside and want easy to maintain, beautiful, hearty flowers that can withstand the north-west region( pictures and websites would be a plus).

How do I start planting flowers in Washington state?
Washington has the most beautful gardens in the country IMO because you never get too cold, and there is lots and lots of rain. There are a lot of rhododendrons and I found that kind of boring. When I moved back to Maine I decided I would never plant one because I was so sick of them, but 20 years later I am starting to change my mind. Anyway, you can grow a HUGE variety of gorgeous things from roses to hostas and lots more. You can go woodland or formal. The sky's the limit!





One thing I noticed in Washington is that many people don't bother with turf grass. It doesn't like the dampness and it harbors icky slugs. Better to just let the moss come in. Moss is soft, inviting and never needs mowing.
Reply:This is one of my favorite things to do! Since you live in an area that gets a lot of rain(I'm assuming)you will be able to grow Rhodedendrons which are fairly low maintenance and beautiful at the same time. If you go to your local nursery and speak to someone they will be able to give you some ideas on what would suit your needs. Be sure to have info ready as to whether its shady, sunny, sheltered, etc. Also, don't be afraid to speak to more than one person. Sometimes they will hire someone off the street to care for the plants, but if it is a reputable nursery, you shouldn't have too much trouble with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment