Monday, May 24, 2010

As a new gardener, I planted a variety of flowers, shrubs, and trees, and have no idea how or if to prune. WA?

I live in Washington State and have never done anything outside but mow the grass. I bought a new home and put half my back yard into flowers and shrubs and trees, now I have no idea how to maintain it. Do I cut low-growing and medium height flowers back, do I need to trim flowering shrubs and other shrubs, etc. and my biggest question of all -- if so, WHEN do I do it?

As a new gardener, I planted a variety of flowers, shrubs, and trees, and have no idea how or if to prune. WA?
Go back to the nursery where things were purchased. They should give you some help. Also, while you're there, get a copy of the Sunset Western Garden book.
Reply:I live in NH. I know some things about when to cut back. I cut all my perenial flowers back after the first frost. ornamental grasses you cut back the begining of spring. Roses also. I don't believe you cut back shrubs you just prune in the spring.

Nintendo Wii

No comments:

Post a Comment