Thursday, May 20, 2010

What kind of summer blooming perennial is this?

I live in Otsego County in New york State. We just moved into a new home and this plant is growing out front. It had died back entirely this winter. It is about 3 1/2 ft tall. Large simple leaves.Smoothed waved edge. The stems are a reddish color and are very thick. White pointed compound flowers. Shaped similar to a lilac but a lot smaller. Only about 2 inches long or so. The main branches and shoots on the flower are red/pink in color and at the very end of each shoot there is a single white flower with 5 petals and a very large green center that is rounded. I have pictures available. email me at Trinity_1121@yahoo.com.

What kind of summer blooming perennial is this?
if it gets purple berries about a month from now, it's pokeweed. Here's some more photos...





http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants....





I actually think the plant is pretty. The birds like the berries and they will eat them. I used to let one plant grow in my compost heap at my first house, just for that reason.





FYI: They pull easily when they first come up. If you take a look at the photo of the taproot in the link I gave, you'll see why it is a Good Idea to get them pulled when they're young if they are in an area where you do not want them.
Reply:Superior description. Here is an image of pokeweed:





http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi...


No comments:

Post a Comment